Monday, March 28, 2011

Deer hunting with Elmer Fudd....

     If you're my age, you know who Elmer Fudd is and it doesn't need it's own explanation when you use the the name in a story....
     I was at a banquet the other night and the subject at our table turned to hunting stories. I told mine, at the end the youngest person at our table said "who's an Elmer Fudd?"   The rest of us really cracked up.
     Last year on Opening Day ( which is a school holiday in our area-no kidding!) of deer season, my husband thought it would be a swell idea to take me along. I don't hunt, but he seemed to think I cold be useful anyway.
     I dragged out my bibs and boots and proceeded to get myself ready. By the time I got my pants, extra socks, extra shirt, bibs, boots, huge buffalo coat and my babushka on, I had to go pee. Really bad! So...off it all comes, On it it all goes again.
   Looking back- I am actually surprised that by this point he hadn't already decided this was a bad idea.
    Off we go...We get to the section line and hop out of the truck. The snow is already three wires deep on the fence. My husband just steps right over the fence. (he's 6'4") I had to wiggle through it. (I'm 5'2 and a little on the fluffy side) The snow was really deep! Up to my thighs almost.
   Hubby was striding through the snow like no big deal. I was trying to use his foot prints to find my way. I was high stepping it with big exaggerated movements just like Elmer Fudd- He got up ahead of me about 20 yards, I lost may balance and went Whomp! in the snow face first! I had put my hands out to break my fall- bad move- the snow was really powdery and I went all the way down.
   So there I am wallowing around trying to get my feet back under me. I can't seem to get going because I have so many layers on. My husband turns around and glares at me...puts his finger to his lips and goes "SHHHHHHHH!"  Like I wanted to be face-planted in the snow????
    I managed to get up- then he looks and me and signals that I should walk around the other side of the field to scare the deer his way.
   There was definitely some signaling going on. I believe mine was more universal! I went back to the truck and waited for him..... Didn't take him long at that point to realize this was a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment