Monday, April 4, 2011

The Princess Diaries

    I am a colossal sucker!  Our neighboring farm also has cattle.....in the middle of the night they call over here and ask if we (meaning 'me') want a bottle baby. So, I said yes. And 'BULL-SHAVICH' came to live with us.
   Any one who really knows me, knows that nothing dies on my watch if it can be helped. This little calf really didn't stand a chance from the get-go, but  I babied, and cajoled this little calf anyway. But alas, to no avail.
   A couple days later the same farm calls again, would I like two more? Yes... Now we have the Princesses Sammy and Freddy. I am happy to report they are doing well. And they are SPOILED! They get 'mama' to talk to them, rub 'em and play with them like dogs. They follow me everywhere! It's like being the Pied-Piper....They even like to be read to. Mostly trashy romance and early American history......
   We keep a couple dozen cows here in the yard. Most of them are pets to me. Yes, I am aware we eat them. And I know they have to go to market if we're to make any money on them... We took some yearling to market in January. They all would come if you called them by name, and were very tame. After we had them at the livestock market, my husband unloaded them into a pen. I was in the cab of the truck and could hear my 'babies' crying and wondering 'what's happening????' I thought hubby was going to just die of embarrassment when I jumped out, and started talking to my babies and telling them it would all be OK and they were going to a new home with lot's of new friends and to be good Girlz and follow the nice man.
   They calmed right down and did what they were told. The yard man at the market was falling all over himself laughing, my hubby was bellowing for me to get in the truck.... I'm sure who was more traumatized, me or the Girlz!
      To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment